The Board of Directors of Meggitt PLC, our executive leadership team, and management at all levels recognise the important responsibility which we have towards ensuring the health and safety and preventing injury to our employees, visitors, contractors, customers and others who may be affected by our activities, and are committed to:
- Operating a formal system for the management of health and safety that identifies risks, drives continuous improvement and ensures that appropriate resources are in place to plan, implement, monitor and review the effectiveness of this system;
- Meeting or exceeding all applicable health and safety legislation and regulations, and implementing best practices as recommended by appropriate regulatory bodies and advisory organisations;
- Aligning our health and safety management system with the Meggitt Production System which is the Group’s framework for achieving continuous, sustainable operational improvements.
- Fostering a safe workplace through rigorous application of accident and injury preventative measures to reduce risks to our employees and all other persons.
- Striving for continuous improvement in our health and safety performance. Driving a culture of safety by embedding and encouraging a “Safety First” mentality amongst our employees and by engaging them in health and safety processes.
- Embedding occupational health into our business activities and strategies by providing our businesses with Meggitt Health and Safety Procedures, advice and guidance on work-related health risks and the impact of work-related ill-health on their ability to undertake their work;
- Integrating the identification, assessment and control of health and safety risks into our management processes and business plans by ensuring that all workplace risks are adequately recorded, controlled and managed as part of the risk assessment process.
- Ensuring appropriate levels of communication with customers, suppliers, contractors, visitors and any other persons who may be affected by our activities, regarding health and safety risks whilst on Meggitt premises;
- Designing our products and services so that they are capable of being installed, operated and maintained without risk to the health and safety and welfare of those who use our products;
- Empowering all of our employees to take responsibility for health and safety, by (i) encouraging employees to participate in discussions and consultations on health and safety and to raise health and safety concerns through the appropriate channels; (ii) requiring employees to comply with all applicable health and safety laws and regulations and Meggitt Health and Safety Procedures; and (iii) ensuring that employees report accidents, incidents, near miss occurrences, unsafe conditions, and unsafe behaviours using established internal reporting procedures;
- Consulting with employees, either directly or through their designated representatives and ensuring that all employees and temporary workers are provided with (i) the necessary health and safety information, instruction and training to enable them to understand and reduce the risks arising out of their activities as far as is reasonably practicable and (ii) appropriate personal protective equipment in cases where the hazard or risk cannot be eliminated through application of engineering controls to ensure that they are protected as far as possible from risks arising out of their activities.
The Board as a whole is responsible for health and safety and delegates responsibility for the design and governance of our health and safety programme to the Chief Operating Officer. The Board and Group Leadership Team receive regular progress reports regarding health and safety and performance against established targets, to enable regular review and continuous improvement in our health and safety performance. The Group Operations Director and divisional presidents are responsible for ensuring implementation and oversight of this policy and our programme at our sites.
This policy and its implementation will be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that it remains appropriate and relevant to the organisation and the Group is committed to providing the necessary support in order to ensure that our businesses can fulfil the requirements outlined in this policy. This policy will be communicated to everyone working for or on behalf of the Group and will be made available on the Group’s website (www.meggitt.com).
Approved by the Meggitt PLC Board of Directors on 2 November 2017.