Meggitt’s Defense Systems’ facility in Fullerton, California, recently achieved scoring accuracy within one foot of target point during barge target training exercises at Eglin Air Force Base with its vector doppler scorer (VDOPS). This leading-edge measurement and reporting technology improves precision weapons training and weapon assessment.
MDS showed that its VDOPS scoring system could provide complete spherical scoring coverage with a six antenna configuration on a barge target. Immediately following missile impact with the barge, Meggitt personnel produced the highly accurate score using the VDOPS ground station which provided a standard graphical printout of the results. Subsequently, a 3-D, time correlated reconstruction of the missile trajectory throughout the entire scoring volume was produced and delivered to the Air Force. MDS has installed more than 500 VDOPS worldwide, including several at Eglin Air Force Base where more barge target tests are scheduled.
“The VDOPS accuracy versus the actual hole in the barge is rated at .99 of a foot—well within the sub-meter accuracy we were looking to achieve,” noted Richard Bennett, Programme Manager for the firing exercise. “Everyone is very pleased with the results and we look forward to working closely with Meggitt as we bring the offshore test and training area online at Eglin.”
Quinton Miller, President of Meggitt Defense Systems (Fullerton) added, “We were very confident in VDOPS’ capability after performances at White Sands and other government test facilities. As barge targets continue to grow as the preferred training element, we are pleased that VDOPS is ahead of the curve on accuracy and cost and ready for next generation training.”
For further information please contact:
Meggitt Defense Systems
Telephone: (001) 714 525 2300
PR Manager, Meggitt Defense Systems
Telephone: (001) 949 863 0560
Fiona Greig, Meggitt Group PR Executive
Office: +44 1202 847707
Mobile: +44 7818 015924
1. The VDOPS Vector Doppler Scorer is a noncooperative missile-scoring radar that provides vector scoring for a wide variety of applications and is compatible with all high performance subscale and full scale targets. When coupled with a compatible ground station, VDOPS provides a complete vector score with attitude for all standard types of missiles. The vector score includes a reconstruction of the missile trajectory throughout the entire scoring volume. Both colour-graphical and standard-text displays are presented to the operator by either computer monitor or hardcopy. Field-tested since 1988, the VDOPS provides proven noncooperative vector scoring capabilities. Optional packages include GPS timing, telemetry support, and encryption.
2. Meggitt Defense Systems (Fullerton), part of Meggitt’s Defence Systems division, specialises in the design, manufacture, integration and operation of air and ground based, real time scoring systems for fixed and rotary wing aircraft and armoured vehicles and pioneered in digital signal processing applications in weapons training scoring from small arms to missiles.
3. The division also designs, develops and manufactures free flight aerial marine and ground-based targetry, towed targets and countermeasures, unmanned air vehicles, high speed reeling machines and electronic scoring systems, ammunition handling equipment and environmental control systems.
4. Meggitt Defence Systems is a division of Meggitt PLC (MGGTL).
4. Headquartered in the UK, Meggitt PLC is an international group of companies operating in North America, Europe and Asia. Known for its specialist extreme environment technology, Meggitt is a world leader in the aerospace, defence and electronics industries.